Thursday, February 21, 2013

Planning for the Future

Cape May Lewes Ferry Sunset cruise photograph, water Delaware Bay
Sunset from the Lewes Cape May Ferry on the Delaware River
As a writer, I find myself usually concentrating on the moment, wondering what will happen next in my story or what the next plot should be. Since this blog is about how to make money as a writer, I thought I would mention that one thing that I think writers should do is invest their money.

Yes, that is what I said, invest. So often all the royalties go into expenses and the 'general fund' of daily living, but why not set aside a certain percentage to go towards your future? Investing my money to me means that I am making it work for me. No, I am not an authority on the subject, but there is plenty of free information out there for educating yourself. With a little practice using small amounts of money, I have found that investing doesn't have to be terribly risky and my money can grow while I continue to write.

Think about it and do a little research. Here are a couple of online sites that offer huge amounts of information on the subject, OptionsExpress, Fidelity, Scottrade, and OptionsHouse. Each has their pros and cons and some offer virtual trading so you can play around until you understand more about the process if you need it.

So, check it out if you like, see if you can't start making your money work for you as you work for your money.