Friday, November 2, 2012

Flood Relief

MSNBC
I have found it so refreshing to see the outpouring of support from regular folks to help the people affected by hurricane Sandy. While I was driving between Virginia and Philadelphia yesterday on Interstate 95, there were lines of utility trucks heading north. They drove in caravans by the hundreds from different companies as far away as Texas. Sure, some of them are getting paid, but I guarantee that there are far more people helping without pay.

It shows me that despite the fighting in this upcoming election, we Americans do care for each other. We are not all selfish folks whining that we don't have what we want, but we know how to get to work and meet the need where possible.We are a nation of people who rally together once politics and religion are set aside. After all, isn't that the real religion, loving your neighbor more than yourself?

How does this apply to me in the context of being a writer? It shows me that folks with real character exist and it's people like them that make up great stories. I am sure we will hear amazing stories as the days and weeks pass, of heroes among the communities who stepped out and did something to make a difference. Picking among the different stories will be the hard part.