Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Writer's Block

Try adding a new experience to your life!
As any writer knows, the dreaded writer's block will come at some point to interrupt your productivity. That's alright! Your brain sometimes needs a little time to readjust and when it is ready to be creative, you will have a new freshness in your work. It's like sleeping and the dreaming process. I like to think that dreams are a way for our brains to take all the experiences we go through and thoughts we have, mix them all up and kind of reorganize them and throw out the useless stuff. After a few nights of good dreaming, I feel so much more clear-headed and ready to imagine. There is actually a little science to back up that theory here on Wikipedia, Dreams for Removing Junk.

When I am waiting for my writing brain to come back online, I use the time to get projects done that I like doing - using creativity but in a different way than writing. Last week, I repainted my bathroom and this week I plan on doing some refinishing of some old wood lamps that I found. I have been looking around in antique stores for an unusual shade for each of them but have not been successful yet. I am hoping to find something glass, maybe green or blue - but that is just an idea. I am also working on a surprise for my daughter's birthday - but I cannot write about that yet since she might read this blog!

Now I realize that I may not be normal. When I look at  sites like Grammar Girl, she recommends totally different ways of attacking the dreaded writer's block, most of which involve more writing.

I guess my point for this post is to to encourage you to stay creative when you feel that the words are not flowing. You will still have fun and the writing will be more enjoyable when you get back to it.

Feel free to comment if you have a different method of getting the words flowing again.