Thursday, July 12, 2012

Inspiration in Walking

One aspect of the writing career as well as any other creative outlet is keeping your mind in shape. The simple act of getting your pulse moving faster than normal clears out the doldrums or cobwebs or writer's block or whatever else you want to call it. I think the simplest way to do that is by walking, but others prefer swimming or running or biking. Whatever your preference, don't forget to take that time and keep your neurons blinking.

The rhythm of walking seems to force my brain into thinking about topics in a logical way, helping me to find solutions almost easily. Besides that, I get the benefit of sunshine and fresh air.

Here is what the Weight-Control Information Center says about walking. It may...
  • Give you more energy and stamina and lift your mood.
  • Tone your muscles and strengthen your bones.
  • Increase the number of calories your body uses.
  • Lower your risk of health problems, such as high blood pressure, heart disease, high cholesterol, and type 2 diabetes.
According to Psychology Today, consistent walking at least for 40 minutes three times a week for one year, increased the size of the participants'  hippocampus (the brain's short-term memory center), and spatial memory (the ability to remember patterns).

I don't know about you, but I have no interest in my brain becoming more and more sluggish as I get older!