Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fantastic Fiction

Alfred Hitchcock
Last night I watched the Alfred Hitchcock movie, The Birds, for the first time. I know, it's been out forever but I just never took the opportunity to watch it. Like most of Hitchcock's movies, it was well-written and very believable. It made me think about how many times we say, "the book is better" because writing about a fictional event is easier than trying to recreate the scenes in a movie. This story was based on the novelette by Dauphne du Maurier, in the book, The Birds and Other Stories. The written version is much more detailed and chilling in its account of the imagined incident.
 I can write something fictional that will sound as though it is totally true, but to try to make it come to life on a screen is almost impossible to me. Thanks to computers, the movie producers can do a much better job, but even then I am sure they face a challenge since we watch movies on large television screens in high definition and can usually tell when something is not real. 
Only in dreams can fiction seem so real because we are experiencing it 'live' in our heads. Pretty interesting...