Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Morning News Ponderings

Apple Blossoms
When I read about the morning news in the United States, it causes me to realize that we are quite spoiled as a society. Our level of comfort seems to rely on a level of excess that the majority of the world will never enjoy. You would think that we should be the happiest country with all the excess but instead we seem plagued with complaints. Could it actually be that material success does not bring happiness, just like the stories we read as children instructed us?

Think about it... Do we need to take more vitamins? Do we need to take more drugs for every little symptom? Do we need larger houses? Do we need mega grocery stores full of pre-made foods? Do we need to insure every aspect of our lives, in case of catastrophes? Do we need a new car every three years? When does it stop?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my fair share of creature comforts but I think we need to find a balance within the excesses. I want to enjoy my life instead of complaining. There is truth to the phrase, spoiled rotten, and I don't want it to be the summary of my life.