Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hot Off the Press!

I finally finished a story I have been working on for a few days. I was just sentences from finishing two days ago when my computer shut down unexpectedly and I lost pages of work. Not sure why it didn't automatically save since I was working in Word and it usually does. 

So here it is, What Was That? It's a short story about frightening booms in the middle of the night in a small New England town. It is based on an actual event but totally manipulated to make it more of a story than a news event. I hope readers enjoy it as something different but totally possible.

Here are a few lines as a teaser: 


“What was that?” Diane sat up abruptly in bed. “Mike, listen. Did you hear that?” She shook his shoulder as she sat in the darkness of their bedroom.
“What? Hey, what’s up?” Mike pulled himself up to his elbow, trying to focus in the dark room.
“Listen,” she paused for a couple of seconds. “I just heard a loud boom and the whole bed shook.” Diane talked in a hushed voice, hoping to hear the sound again so Mike could hear it.
“It’s probably just someone excavating at the quarry or something. Let’s go back to sleep,” Mike said as he pulled the quilt back up over his shoulders.
“I don’t know, maybe. Just seemed strange this late at night...”