Monday, February 20, 2012

Rules for Writing

short story collection, train bridge, cecil county
I was reading through some writings today about the actual rules for writing. Some people say not to write in first person, others say don't use adverbs. Some even say you shouldn't describe the characters in your stories too much or it will conflict with the reader's imagination. So many good pieces of advice but I think the best rule is just to write. Keep writing and you will correct those mistakes as you advance in your craft. In the Ten Rules for Writing Fiction from the The Guardian, one author makes the point, "Nobody is making you do this: you chose it, so don't whine." I had to laugh.

Today I published my first e-book on Amazon, The Meanderings of a Pen, a Collection of Short Stories. It is just that, a compilation of several of the stories that I have written over the last couple of months. It will be less expensive to read the stories in this book, than if you purchase them individually as singles.

So onward, with my adverbs, exclamation points and commas under tight control - I will start my next collection of stories, hoping to entertain my readers with each of them.