Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Warm Wednesday

logan sapphire, necklace, jewelry
Logan Sapphire in Natural History Museum
I finally finished my story, The Story of the Sapphire Necklace. It was a fun story to write but it took a lot of research to keep the history straight. Since the weather was so nice, I opted to go back to the old fashioned way of writing with a pen and paper so I could sit outside without squinting at my laptop screen. Getting into the story was a fun journey and I hope that my readers can feel themselves being pulled in.

Today is another record-breaking warm day so I want to get outside and enjoy it before the damp days of February take hold. Probably take a nice drive out to Lancaster, but we'll see.

I will activate the link for the story later today...

Here is a short excerpt: The Story of the Sapphire Necklace...

“Going, going, and sold!” the hammer struck the podium. Litza was so used to the words of the Sotheby’s auctions. Her life of studying at Carnegie School of Art was paying off as she climbed within the ranks of the appraisers.
The hum of the room increased as the crowd got up to look over the recently sold items. One early American corner table that looked so innocuous was worth $750,000 and sold for $875,000. The amount of money people spent on rare items seemed limitless.
Litza went forward to check on the next round of items up for auction.
“Have you seen the jewelry that Bradley has lined up for sale?” It was Bernadette, a fellow art appraiser.
“No, I haven’t had the time. Is there anything special? “She responded after assuring herself that her table was in order.
“There is a sapphire necklace that someone said is probably the largest Kashmir sapphire outside of the Smithsonian.”
“I’m sure I’ll get a chance to look at it before it leaves the house.” Litza replied as she reached for her buzzing cell phone.