Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Disappearing Through a Wormhole.

treasure box, jewelry, wood box, story
Today I am working on a title called The Story of the Sapphire Necklace. The inspiration came from a television show, Alkatraz where a character from the past was breaking into bank vaults for personal items, not the money. At one point he holds up a stolen sapphire necklace and asks the owner, "What is the story of the sapphire necklace?" My imagination jumped at the line and today the story is unfolding. I am basing the story on history to give it a more realistic feel.

In studying about writing historical fiction, I read Elizabeth Crook's Seven Rules for Writing Historical Fiction. where she makes the statement, "In order to write authentic historical fiction you must know a period of time well enough to disappear daily through a wormhole to the past and arrive at the location of your story." That so clearly defines what I am trying to do--disappear into a wormhole! Beautifully put.

This story begins in the mid 1800s in India and ends up... Well, you will have to read the story to find out where it ends up! Yes, the necklace has a crazy history, weaving through time and generations.

I will post a link to the story later today when I finish writing.